It transpires I have the wrong points for the dynamo, so I want to source the correct ones before I finally test the Magneto. This unit is back together but needs a test before going into the bike and hence I would like the correct points. It is a bit of a gamble if it works but I have not invested much in it yet!
The Dynamo in now on the list and it has taken me a while to get to ordering the new armature. This was ordered as a kit with armature, bearing and field coil. with a trial fit, it was impossible to get the armature past the coil, so I used a couple of engineers clamps and tightened up the pole shoe against the case so that I could really tighten the screw and make sure the armature would pass past the shoe.
This technique worked a treat! I did have to drill out the middle fixing hole - the one that has a captive bolt and connects to the timing chain cover.
Apart from that, all the castings for the dynamo have been vapour blasted and I can now assemble with the new parts. With new main bearing, it spins freely.