Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Seat frame mock up and test

I never had a seat with the bike and it has proved quite difficult to get any sensible answers relating to the seat and fixing. It would appear that the nearest is the Trophy or T90 style seat and I managed to get some photos of a seat on the bike together with a couple of other 3T's over the last few months.
The salient information is that the spring centres are 8" apart. Armed with this I bought a Wassell copy seat (Indian) and set about modifying it.

The frame requires the removal of the lower rear underneath bar.

Brackets to mount the springs are 1" wide and 1.5" x 1" angle (about 3mm thick)

The seat fits fairly well now and I shall make the brackets for the springs and rivet on. When it is finished, I will post a photo before fitting the cover.

Wednesday, 8 June 2016

Photos of current progress - Tinware trial fit before painting....

Not much to say about this. I am still unsure as to how the toolbox fits to the frame - any suggestions?

The bits of blue masking tape are reminders of holes to be welded up etc.

There are a few queries on how the front mudguard mounts....

So, its taking shape.....

Wednesday, 1 June 2016

Engine build up etc

For convenience, I decided to choose the +10 barrels and pistons. These barrels were not worn and so I decided to hone them, and fit new +10 rings to the existing pistons.

You can probsably just make out the 010 on the upper face of the barrels - signifying that they are +0.010" oversize

The piston rings were fitted to the pistons and then the pistons fitted to the con rods. Nothing very difficult there! The cam followers were held in place with tie-wraps and the piston rings compressed down to enable fitting into the barrels using jubilee clips.

You will spot that in the above photo the casings have studs for the barrel and below they have changed to bolts. I forgot to check for this as I was selcting barrels and I also wanted to use the re-plated bolts.

The studs were removed and the bolts tested for fit in the casings. The barrels were then sprayed with spherex high temp paint (see head below) and fitted to the casings.

Next, a few trial fits of the head and working out how the engine stay fits to the head.

I had new valves to fit and the rockers, arms, spring spacers and wahsers were all cleaned up. The valves were lapped in and I even tried blowing down an exhaust outlet to test the fit - air tight with no springs! The only problem was that when I tried to fit the rockers, the inles valve seemed wrong. It transpired they were about 5mm tool long!! So I managed to seach through the boxes of bits and find two decent inet valves. New springs were fitted and all seemed OK fitted together.

It is quite fiddly fitting the rocker shafts with all the various washers etc but if you push the rocker gradually through and use tweezers to locate the various washers at the various stages then it all fits OK.
The head was then degreased, most of the rust removed and then masked up ready to be sprayed with spherex high temp paint.

Fitting the head was not so easy.....