Thursday, 17 March 2011

Update to bearings etc.

It doesnt take a lot of thought to realise I was assuming that the top yoke fitted flush onto the upper bearing cap/washer. Of course, on the 3T you can move the top yoke up and down the main nut to adjust the spacing of the top and lower yokes and thus everything fits perfectly! I slept on it and it seemed so obvious the next morning!
I now have the front rim on order (stainless steel) and once I have that, I will then get the front wheel build up.
The next job is to build my engine stand I have quite a few engines and want to build up three hence the engine stand.

Sunday, 6 March 2011

Fallen at the first fence!

With the excitement of the forks loosely in place, I thought I would trial fit the fork shrouds yikes nothing lines up!

So the issue now is that the top and bottom yoke are too close together by about 5mm. More delving is required!!

The restoration starts in earnest!

Original bearing on the left - see below for details.

Top bearing fully installed

Lower yoke installed in heastock.

Above the forks start to take shape - looks more like a motorcycle now!!

Having spent ages trying to get parts cleaned, painted (tinware still to be
done) and collecting parts, one part that eluded me was the correct bearing
inner for the bottom yoke.
The top photograph shows the correct bearing on the left and the one on the right seems to be what people think it should be! It is difficult to see but the correct one has a slightly wider inner diameter - to go over a lip on the bottom of the lower fork tube. I now have the correct item and so I can start to re-assemble the front end of the bike. The new forks are from the 3TA but
only differ by a hole in the side near the top. This will be stopped with a small machine screw and locktited in. As it is covered by the fork covers it does not really matter. Where possible, I have used stainless fittings - the top nut for the yokes I had specially made by Will Horgan of Stainless Classics - what a super job he does on his work.

The next step will be to assemble the inner parts of the forks and sliders.

I also now have most of the engine parts so once I have built my engine
stand, I'll start on the rebuild of the engine - I have at least enough
parts to build 3 off!!!

It's a slow progress on this bike but rewarding at the same time! What I
can't fathom out is how much second hand spares now cost!