Tuesday 13 July 2021

Further Magneto issues...

 I thought I would investigate the ATD unit that I had before finishing off the magneto. It was very stiff and the weights looked seized. After soaking in white spirit, and then the ultrasonic tank the picture below show the offending parts:




If you look carefully, you will see the cam weights have elongate pivot holes and as a result, the weights have been rubbing on the pivot plate. It doesn't show very well but the lower plate is worn through about half way due ot the fact the weight pivots are so worn. Quite a mess! So I decided to refurb another I have and rivet a new fibre gear onto it. The rivets were 3/16" x 1/2" countersunk and were a perfect fit for peening over. I won't go through the whole process but once the retaining collar is pressed off then it is all serviceable. The damaged gear is shown. I have another magneto with ATD to do so I may show the process if there is any interest. The finished unit is on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment